Friends and Five
Wednesday, October 21, 2020
When it comes to our physical and mental health, friendship may truly be the best medicine. As author Edna Buchanon put it, “Friends are the family we choose for ourselves". Having a best friend is something we should cherish. It is so easy to lose a friend due to misunderstandings. According to an article I read there are five ways to help keep a friendship strong and long lasting.
1. Be honest - To achieve a solid friendship, you have to be honest with each other. Being able to offer and receive feedback from someone you trust is a gift that can easily be overlooked.
2. Repair Misunderstandings - In moments of tension, we can let things slip out that are far more hurtful to our closest friends because they come from us.When you make a mistake, apologize for it. Make sure the friend understands that your intention is not to hurt or punish. Explain where you went wrong and what you mean by saying sorry.
3. Make Time and Show Appreciation - We have to find time to make real contact with friends in order for the relationship to flourish.
4. In any relationship, we can start to impose certain expectations on others that set us up to feel hurt or disappointed. Don’t be quick to pick apart your friends. Accept that they are human and that they will make mistakes.
5. Choose Compassion Over Cynicism - A good rule of thumb when it comes to our relationships is to care more about doing what’s right than being right.
Being honest and straightforward without being cynical is perhaps the most important quality of a good friend.