SP Premium
JPPERSELL
20,000-24,999 SparkPoints 24,886
SparkPoints
 

Update on my dog Dusty

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Dusty had to have two surgeries to fix a hematoma in his ear. I was having problems with getting him to take his medicine but found something that he liked and will eat which was black pepper turkey. Today after two weeks I took him to the Vet to get the stitches out. He was still shaking his head so the Vet looked under a microscope to see if the infection was still there which is not yet he is still shaking his head. She put him on some steroids to see if that would clear whatever is bothering him. She said if the steroids didnt do it then he may need a CT scan to determine if he has a mass. The cost of it is $1000. I am beside myself because that is alot of money to spend on something that my or may not be there. She said that they could try an xray but it may not see anything. My dog is twelve years old. Even if he did have a mass I wonder if I should put him through the torment of the treatment or let him live out his life peacefully. I just dont know. I have alot to think about. I dont want him to suffer if he does have a mass. We will see. I will give updates on him periodically.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • GRANDEFILLE
    It is a hard decision. If it was me I would stop trying to fix him and let him live the rest of his life. But It is not me. You have to do what works for you. It is always a gamble with an old dog. Hope you find your solution.

    sending you lots of good thoughts
    78 days ago
  • MARILYNS71
    I sure understand. Our sweet Benji on January 28 of this year couldn't sleep - just seemed to have trouble breathing keep us awake all night. So early the next morning (Saturday) we took him to the vet who listened to his heart and did an x-ray - his heart very far to large and causing him to have difficulty breathing. Vet said there was really nothing that he could do except maybe give him some pain meds. Benji was 14 - we asked what the vet thought we should do - and he said if it was his dog, as hard as it was, he would put him down as breathing was difficult for Benji. So we did. Difficult situation but believe it was the best - we miss him terribly as does his sister Molly (age 12) who is starting to present some health issues - but we are praying that she will hang on with not much trouble / pain till she reaches 14.


    81 days ago
  • ALEXSGIRL1
    emoticon
    84 days ago
  • SMIDGON
    I sympathize with you! It is a hard decision. To make.
    I've had several fur-babies when upon arriving at 13 and above, we had to make that decision.
    We just watched them, they will probably let you know what their wishes are.

    At age (one day before her 14th b.d ) she had been suffering from bowel blockage. She refused her medicine, wouldn't eat, etc. We knew her wishes.

    GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.
    84 days ago
  • TSHAWGER
    Sending you many prayers on your decision.
    84 days ago
  • 1CRAZYDOG
    Awwwwww, so sorry that your Dusty had to have surgery. Poor baby. It is a hard call @ age 12. And the MRI is costly. But I guess I would weigh what the alternatives are and if it would be something that would change the quality of his life.

    All I can say is . . . I had a 16 yr. old dog. He had an eye issue and we had a choice to make about the treatment. Surgery was an option. The other options wouldn’t have really solved his problem, so we did end up w/having surgery. He did all right. Anyhow, the idea is that we had to decide what would give him the quality of life. We did ultimately have the surgery for him. He did well.

    It is daunting.

    84 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment


    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.