A new year, a fresh quilty start.
Friday, January 04, 2019
Isn't it true? The new year always seems to feel like a fresh start. It's probably just the relief of having all the holidays over and done with, but I digress. I think it's worth it to roll with the impetus of the new year. I'm not really one to create resolutions, life just never is so cut and dried. Besides I like what I was doing previously and I just want to continue to evolve with it. Food allergies are tricky little devils but can still be made to walk the line. A bit of reflection of what worked and what was weak can point the direction to go. Add some fresh recipes and continue with friends and activities, add some new ones for continued variety and you have a road map for the rest of the year. If you were like me and had a houseful of temptations (much of which was not of my doing) then do your best to get rid of them if you haven't already. Give them away and don't feel obliged to eat them away. Dive into those winter veggies and be moderate now. Fresh really is best.
I did find a new activity this holiday season. I joined in with the National Quilters Circle's Mystery Medallion Challenge. The mystery starts by giving you only the yardage requirements and pointers for fabric selection. You have no idea what the quilt is going to be like at all, hence the mystery. Each week we'd receive new instructions for constructing a new type of block and directions of how to assemble. Oh it was great fun and the suspense was high for each week's new direction to take. Everyone liked to post their progress on the facebook page and it was so enthralling to see what everyone was coming up with after going into it so blind. The group leaders gave great tutorials of Toby Lamb Lischko's wonderful design. Had I known what this quilt was going to be to begin with I most likely wouldn't have started as it is an intricate design and I'm pretty much a beginner with quilting. But that's how you eat an elephant right? Bit by bit until viola, it's done.
I learned a lot through the process, especially since I didn't have complete yardage requirements and had to improvise to come up with the solutions to make it still work. I had to add some cornerstones to the inner border, which itself was wider and shorter than the original pattern and everything after that had to be remedied size wise as well. I also changed the direction and placements of some of the blocks just because I liked it better with the fabrics I had. My fabric choices came from my small stash at home and since I didn't want to spend a lot a money on something I knew nothing about, I thought it was the safest way to go.
I liked how out it turned out and I did alright sewing it up too. I'm not finished as it still needs to be quilted which is a whole new area to explore but I still feel that I've accomplished a lot, so here 'tis ...
Here's a close up of the border stripe that was the inspiration for the colorway of the quilt. I unfortunately was a 1/4 yard too short and had to modify the design, but it worked out ok in the end.
Now I need to get up the gumption to dive into home machine quilting.