Any time clouds settle over you, pull out this list and repeat the five steps. Keep the list handy and if you need it, do the steps daily for a while.
1. Write out your plan for the five steps. Include your own resources such as books or music.
In case you need a reminder, here are the five steps:
1. Do tasks
2. Make music (play it or listen to it)
3. Get active
4. Read a book (novel, biography, etc)
5. Reflect, do meditation or visualization.
I love this exercise and have used it many times over the years. It always works and makes me feel better.
2. Even if you aren't feeling down, do the five steps at some point today.
It's funny but I really do need to do this exercise today. Here's my plan:
Clean out the junk drawer in the kitchen and organize it.
Play three songs on the piano.
Take a walk outdoors, take dogs along if weather is OK
Read several pages in a devotional book.
Sit in a quiet place with a cup of tea and do one of my favorite visualizations.
3. Record your response to this exercise, including how you felt afterward.
I won't be doing these things until this afternoon, but I know it will be very helpful and put me back feeling grounded again.