5 important things
Tuesday, November 28, 2017
I'm in the process of reading an older book (copywrite 1996) entitled "5 important things," by Jim Paluch. I've had this book for a long time, I think it was my husband's. We've been re-organizing several rooms since I have retired and I've gone through the books, taking lots of them to the library. I picked out a free books to read (maybe re-read) before I give them away. This is one of them. It has good information in a story-style. In other words, the author is telling a story, while incorporating the 5 important things one must do to be successful. It was intended for someone trying to "get rich" so to speak, but has great application for everyone with a desire to improve one's life. I'll take about the 5 things then give more details in the next few days in blogs, as well as what makes these work.
1. Continue to learn: we are great at this on SP. There are so many wonderful resources that provide us with information about health choices! It doesn't matter if you are overweight, diabetic, mobility limited, etc. There is something for everyone, including my friends who are underweight and have eating disorders!
2. Appreciate people: another area where SP is strong. There will be haters. Don't be one. Be honest and supportive with your feedback! Love one another. Not a suggestion!
3. Attitude: Your attitude sets your altitude...I heard that many years ago and believe it. What's your attitude towards being healthy? Are you all in or just have a big toe in the waters?
4. Set goals: I'm very bad at this, so appreciated SP doing this for me when I joined! Again, there are tons of articles about this. Having been writing goals for years for a living, I'm in favor of the S.M.A.R.T. goal writing. I'll talk more about that when I write more on this topic in a few days.
5. Don't quit: Ha!! How many people give up when they don't get immediate results?! If you don't quit, you're ahead of ALL of those people!! Persistence and patience is key. Remember, the tortoise won the race. I believe that philosophy. It's also a way safer way to lose weight if that's your goal, and to change to healthy eating, changing 1 thing at a time.
There you have it. I'll write more details in the coming days on each of the 5 topics. The author emphasizes how choices and follow through make the difference. That's what I'll talk about!