So my "checkmarks" on today's list are for the things I did yesterday. Each day, now through January 2nd, I'll post a blog about what I was able to do the preceding day.
1. Try a short workout. Even five minutes is better than nothing. For ideas browse our video library or workout generator.
2. Try a new recipe. Cooking healthy foods can be fun and it never has to be bland.
3. Eat a healthy breakfast. Your morning meal sets the stage for the rest of your day, so start if off right!
4. Drink your water. Try to aim for 8 cups each day and you will feel the difference!
5. Look at Motivational SparkPages. Seeing how others overcome similar struggles and obstacles can be a great source of motivation.
6. Track your food today. No matter how it adds up, you will learn from it.
7. Update your SparkPage. It is a visual way to track your ups and downs, but also your progress.
8. Share your goals. Whether you post them on the Message Boards or share them with a friend, you will be more accountable.
9. Exercise for 10 minutes. Jump rope, march in place, or do some crunches. Small amounts do add up to something big!
10. Find a buddy. Get support from friends, whether you need someone to listen or a mentor to give you ideas and encouragement.
11. Take a walk. Do not worry about how long or far you go - just get out there!
12. Create a motivational collage. Include pictures of your goal and reasons why you want to get there.
13. Go shopping for some healthy foods. Use this shopping list for ideas.
14. Check the nutrition facts before you go out to eat. That way, you can make an informed choice.
15. Ride your bike. Even a leisurely ride has benefits for your body and mind. GIVEN THAT I ACCIDENTLY RAN OVER MY OWN BIKE WITH MY CAR A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO THIS ONE WON'T HAPPEN FOR WHILE. emoticon
16. Work in the yard. Gardening and yard work is a great way to add activity to your day.
17. Take the stairs. Even if this is the only thing you do all day, you will feel stronger for it.
18. Rack up those SparkPoints! You earn them for every healthy task you do on the site - talk about motivating! Aim for a certain milestone, such as 100 points, and then reward yourself with a SparkGoodie!
19. Listen to an inspirational song. Better yet, make a playlist of them so you can turn to it whenever you need a boost.
20. Re-start your SparkPeople program. Sometimes it is easier to get back on track when you have a clean slate.
21. Measure your portions. It is a simple way to learn how much you are eating.
22. Eat a piece of fruit. Even if 5-9 servings of fruit and vegetables sounds impossible to you, one is doable.
23. Slow down during meals. You will be less likely to overeat and more likely to enjoy your meal.
24. Play! What kids call play we often call exercise. Play a sport, a game, or use the playground equipment to bring the fun back into fitness. emoticon with my dogs!
25. Learn something new. Sometimes simply taking a quiz or reading an article about nutrition, fitness, or health can change your mindset and get you back on track.