Some thoughts that have stuck with me and spurred me on this month.
* If you gotta start sometime, why not now?
If you gotta start somewhere, why not here?
--Tobymac, "City on Its Knees"
* I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 (I have used this verse several times that helped me avoid eating high calorie, unnecessary, unhealthy snack foods).
* "You don't need seconds. You just don't" ~ Coach Nicole from SparkPeople
* Choose good over easy.
July Goals were:
Goal 1 --Weigh myself once per week during the month of July. The purpose of this goal is to keep myself honest and continue to develop vision.
Done. And I finally have a leaning scale--leaning in the right direction.
Goal 2--Three day sugar fast sometime during the 1st two weeks of July (added sugars excluding what is found in pre-made food such as peanut butter, bread, crackers, cheerios; and what I put on my oatmeal). But no cookies, cake, sugary cereals, muffins, etc. The purpose of this goal is to break the physical and mental sugar craving cycle.
I missed this during the first two weeks as I had planned. But I did it the third week. It has helped me re-set. It is since this that I encountered the "leaning" scale. I jotted down a few things that I jumped out at me during this three day period.
- I survived without sugar
- It made me more mindful of what I was eating
- I savored and enjoyed my healthful food more
- I realize I have forgotten how to plan my eating. I have become accustomed to running for quick and easy when my stomach gnawed instead of planning healthy snacks
Goal 3--Call to mind the joy that is set before me by listing at least 10 reasons to choose a healthy diet (and I want to include "lifestyle" in here --not just "diet"). Here they are in no particular order:
* Example to my husband (I've found as I have started pulling in my reigns, I have seen him do the same)
* I believe it would please God (God doesn't love me any less, just as you don't love your children any less when they choose what you know is not in their best interest. But he delights in me doing what is for my ultimate good--and his glory)
* Blood sugar levels
* More energy
* Less joint pain
* Peace (Don't sacrifice your peace for a moment of pleasure.)
* Sense of accomplishment
* Easier movement capability
* My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit
Goal 4--Do a study of renewing my mind in the Bible
I did this as well, but find that I have only scratched the surface. I have found a lot of take-aways especially in the area of replacing lies with truth by finding counterbalance in the Word of God.
I believe I have grown during this month of focus on renewing my mind. And although I am not where I wish to be, I believe that I have moved forward on this journey.
I am also still 100% on my daily water goal since the beginning of June.