Psych extra credit project, week one update
Sunday, April 12, 2015
So for anyone who hasn't read my last blog post, my psychology professor is giving 50 extra credit points toward my final grade if I work out 30 minutes a day, four days a week for the entire ten weeks of the quarter and record my mood, appetite, energy levels, and such throughout the term. This couldn't have come at a better time for me since my eating has been out of control the last few months and my weight has climbed up to 200 pounds. Anyway, after my first week I'm starting to see improvement. My weight has already gone down a half a pound and my interest in junk food has been diminished a lot. I don't know if I've been sleeping better but I certainly feel better rested, more energized, less dependent on coffee, and more focused. Here's what I posted earlier this week:
Please rate each of the following:
1. Sleep: poor --- below average --- average --- above average --- excellent
2. Energy: poor --- below average --- average --- above average --- excellent
3. Feeling stressed: poor --- below average --- average --- above average --- excellent
4. Mood: poor --- below average --- average --- above average --- excellent
5. Emotional control: poor --- below average --- average --- above average --- excellent
6. Appetite: poor --- below average --- average --- above average --- excellent
7. Cognitive functioning poor --- below average --- average --- above average --- excellent
1. Sleep: below average. Not surprising. I share a room with a toddler and she hasn't been adjusting well to sharing a room with me.
2. Energy: below average. I think this may be caused by a lack of sleep, although I tend to feel tired even with a good night's rest.
3. Feeling stressed: average. I have my worries but I can brush most things aside.
4. Mood: below average. most days I feel a little depressed and lonely
5. Emotional control: above average. I think I hold my emotions in check even in spite of my moodiness
6. Appetite: excellent: really it's out of control. I would like to see this kept in check
7. Cognitive functioning: below average. I feel like I get everything done but like I'm powering through. I love that I can memorize sixteen different orders on the spot and that I never need a notepad when I'm waitressing but It doesn't feel as easy as it used to.
End of week one:
1. Sleep: average. I get anywhere between six and eight hours a night, but on nights where I don't get as much sleep I don't feel the way I was anymore, with the constant headaches and lack of focus. I also fall asleep faster and easier
2. Energy: above average. I don't wear out very quickly. I wake up feeling very refreshed and focused, no matter how long I slept
3. Feeling stressed: above average. I have my worries but they don't consume me
4. Mood: above average. Still a little lonely at times, a little depressed, but I am feeling a lot better.
5. Emotional control: excellent. I've always been able to hold my emotions in check, except maybe when I was postpartum
6. Appetite: above average. I did feel a dramatic shift in appetite this week. It went from big to bigger, but less unhealthy food cravings. I do crave a lot of sugar after working out but I've found that if I give in to that craving I get a funny feeling in my chest. I just keep apples in my car to enjoy immediately and then I go home to a greek yogurt.
7. Cognitive functioning: above average. going back up to what it used to be. I love being able to focus like I used to.