SP Premium


This isn't Part 4

Monday, April 07, 2014

It's sure been a while since I've updated this blog. I still have to do an update on the 4th part of my New Bike saga, the rest of the build-up. I'm working on that, and with any luck I might even get it up before Bruce gets his build-up blog posting done. However I've not really felt like doing so for a big reason: I'm injured and likely won't be able to get back on the bike for several more months.

January 24 I was cycling to work, on my new bike. It was a gorgeous sunny January morning, and the roads were dry and clear. Or at least that's what I thought. There is one corner on my route that is in a little bit of a hollow that collects fog and moisture, and overnight a small layer of black ice formed. I hit that ice while cornering (my GPS says I was doing 28km/h just before the corner) and was leaning into the turn. Once I hit the ice I was no longer turning but I was still leaning, so down I went. Hard. I fell on my right side, and my right hip took the brunt of the hit, but I also had my right arm out to slow my fall and it got violently jerked up.

Luckily no-one else was on the road with me, but my first instinct once I was down was get back up, grab the bike and get it off to the side. I was winded, but thought I would take a breather and then carry on. However when I reached down to grab the bike my right shoulder didn't feel right. I gritted through the pain, but quickly got the bike off the road. A couple drivers slowed down and asked if I was OK, to which I said yes, that I would just call my wife. I poked my right shoulder and I could tell that the bone was not where it was supposed to be and realized I had a dislocated shoulder. I pulled out my cell phone, called my wife (she was dropping the kids off at school) and waited. While I was waiting a couple other people asked if I needed help (including one guy walking his dog in the park across the way). I said that I was fine, and that my wife was on her way, and thank-you. She picked me up and took me straight to the ER. 95 minutes in and out at the ER (including x-rays before and after reducing the dislocation, Toradol and Tetanus shots, and clean-up and bandaging of the road rash on my knee) and I was on my way home with my arm in a sling, a massive purple bruise on my right hip, and a silver-dollar-sized chunk of missing skin on my right knee.

Since then I've been going to Physiotherapy once a week, and it looked like things were going well. However after six weeks, things gradually got worse - things that were easy to do before now caused pain and I started getting lots of pops and clicks in the joint, and I was no longer able to sleep through the night, waking up in agony from the pain. I've now got a referral to see Dr. Uncle Jack (a Sports Med specialist) at the end of May, and I'm on prescription painkillers to help me make it through the day and so that I can get sleep. The painkillers are working great, by the way. Jack is probably going to be sending me for an MR Arthrogram to confirm what's up with the joint, but at this point it looks like I've got a tear in my Supraspinatus tendon and a second tear in the Labrum. If that's what it is, that means surgery, which means it'll be several months before I'm back to normal.

That means I'm not able to cycle (I can't support myself, nor do I have the strength to turn the front wheel) nor can I run (five strides and the jostling is like someone's driving a skewer into the joint). A couple times the last couple weeks the pain has been too much and I've not been able to even go for a walk.

That means its back to the stationary bike, back where I started almost five years go. My son and I got the recumbent bike back into the family room and set it up next to my wife's bike (on the trainer) so now he and I will be getting up 4-5x a week to spend some time together on the bikes while watching documentaries on the TV. He's grown four inches since Christmas (slimming down quite a bit in the process) and his muscles and ligaments haven't quite caught up to his bones, and we feel like some regular exercise and stretching will help. and I need to do something. Since the accident I've gained some weight; not too much, but it is noticeable. I've got the gain under control but I want to push the needle back the other way, and we figure that having two of us motivating each other will help us both.

So what else is going on? Lots. We are in the process of planning a major rennovation at our summer (island) house. We are planning our next trip to Scotland (the entirety of August) because my son's band is playing at the World Pipe Band championships again this year. The kids are, as always, busy. My older daughter now has her pipes, and the younger daughter is almost onto her snare drum. It's never quiet, but that is how it should be!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    oh dear, and lots and lots of luck. and it looks like a great summer ahead, even if you can't ride.
    2575 days ago
    Hi Bill,

    I have all my photos resized and edited and ready to post about my OCD ultimate hardtail mountain bike build. But as you know, I am also injured and just rode my new bike long enough to find out that I am not ready to ride the ultimate hardtail mountain bike.

    The Canfield Nimble 9 is greased lightning! I got a little carried away, and stood up on the pedals to rail a hairpin curve. Bad idea! I think I set my healing back several weeks. But it was a glorious ride!

    Your shoulder injury sounds pretty extreme. You were moving quite quickly. I am glad you got medical attention right away. When is your operation?

    I can assure you that physical therapy will not do you much good until your shoulder is surgically repaired. Ben there, done that, have the t-shirt!

    Good Luck, Bruce
    2586 days ago
    Sorry you're hurt.
    Take good care of yourself.
    Wishing you all the best.
    2586 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.