Year 2 of running
Monday, February 17, 2014
I am so much better at my 5 km distance run. I might not be fast, but I am doing it. Yeah
This year I want to get to 10 km and already had a little go at 6 km on the treadmill. I was still alive at the end !!
Consistency works for me. Here is the framework I have come up with:
1. Good is good enough. Don't try to go for perfection. I am in my second year now and still am not very very good. There are several reasons for that: overweight, experience and age.
Every time I run I am beating everybody who is still sitting on the sofa.
2. Support is important. I have my fitbit, which I have quite an obsessive relationships with (in a healthy way you understand - it has not come off since I had the armband 4 months ago)
I have my husband who is always asking and making admiring noises about my consistency
3. Watch what you measure. I am measuring how my breath and endurance is improving - not how much weight I am losing. I actually do not care about the way (which is lucky because I have not lost any since I started running) But I do care a lot about my breath and endurance and notice the improvement in all sorts of everyday situations.
4. Now is the only time. Living in the moment, being able to do something different is only possible right in this moment. Everything else is wishful thinking and excuses.
5. If I want to do something different, I need to think differently. I am doing the best I can. Always. Of course I could do better - and I would if I could. My thoughts limit me. So all I can do is keep having a go to think and then do differently. Sometimes it happens very quickly, sometimes I need the same lesson many times. My thoughts are powerful