SP Premium
SEWINGMAMACDS
350,000-499,999 SparkPoints 374,636
SparkPoints
 

Thrifty Charity Quilts - Pictures as Promised

Saturday, February 18, 2012

My sister's church sponsors a home for abused girls in Africa. Each year they send a group over to help. One of the things they do is give each girl bedding. I have helped my sister with taking the donated sheets, blankets etc to turn them into nice quilts. You would be surprised at what was donated.

This has been my project in Jan/Feb to complete 6 twin quilts. I wanted them done before I started on all my wedding sewing. It was great because it gave me good practice on free motion quilting from the front of my frame. I have been just doing pantographs which is done from the back of the frame.

This top was donated. It is made from mainly knit fabric with a few cotton/poly squares.
The back was a donated used white blanket which by itself was pretty blah. In using the blanket I didn't have to have any batting between the top and the back.


This quilt was a donated used green blanket which I used for the backing and a donated used flannel sheet. Both were pretty sad by themselves, but putting them together made a nice quilt. It was great to practice on meandering. I had never done meandering quilting before.


One day while I was cleaning out a closet, I came across an old queen bedspread. The edges were fraying and there was one spot where the backing was worn. I cut off the edges to make it twin size and then put a small piece of batting in the worn spot. I then used a nice coordinating stripe sheet for backing.


I made this top. The pattern pink material was left over from a time when I made a daughter a robe. I think I had used the plain pink for something too. I had just enough to make a nice top. The backing is a sheet.


My sister pieced this top.


My sister pieced this top also. What is special about it is the center medallion is a tablecloth that my mom used. The rest of the material was from mom's stash.


What was nice about using full sheets as backing, was that I was able to take the leftover material to use for the binding. Another frugal thing we did...some white sheets that were donated looked very used, we used them for the batting. I know that sounds strange, but it worked.

I had fun with this project, it gave me some good practice and helped me with learning some new techniques. I also loved taking "old" things and making them into something new and beautiful.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post