Friday, September 23, 2011
Hard cooked eggs, crisp crumbled bacon, chopped fresh watercress, diced turkey, diced avocado, chopped tomato and crumbled Roquefort cheese layered over bed of lettuce. Salad is dressed with vinaigrette of extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, coarse salt, fresh ground black pepper and Roquefort cheese. Garnished with chives and served immediately.
3 Hard-Cooked Eggs, shells removed
8 Bacon Slices
1 Head Romaine Lettuce, leaves separated and torn into bite-size pieces
2 cups chopped Watercress (tough stems removed)
4 cups diced Cooked Turkey or Chicken
2 Avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
2 Tomatoes, chopped
1/4 pound plus 1 ounce Roquefort Cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
1/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
Several Long Chive lengths for garnish
1. Cut the hard-cooked eggs into 1/2-inch dice. Set aside.
2. In a large frying pan over medium heat, fry the bacon about 10 minutes or until crisp; transfer to paper towels to drain. When cool, crumble and set aside.
3. Make a bed of lettuce on a platter, shallow bowl, or individual serving plates.
4. Arrange the eggs, bacon, watercress, turkey or chicken, avocados, tomatoes. and the 1/4 pound Roquefort cheese in a neat pattern atop the lettuce, in rows or in a checkerboard pattern, covering the lettuce almost completely.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Using a fork, mash in the remaining 1 ounce Roquefort cheese to make a paste.
6. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil to form a thick dressing.
7. Pour a little of the dressing over the salad and garnish with chive lengths.
8. Serve immediately. Pass the remaining dressing at the table.