I'm currently reading Deepak Chopra's Perfect Weight.
In the Ayurvedic Diet, the most important aspect for weight loss is eating the heaviest meal at lunchtime!
However, Chopra also lists his Body Intelligence Tips. They are as follows:
Body Intelligence Tips (BIT)
1. Eat in a Settled and Quiet atmosphere. Overweight people tend to wolf down their meals without respect or attention. Eat to nourish your body & savor the flavors of the food.
2. Always sit down to eat. Helps to prepare your digestion and to enforce your awareness of the food & your hunger level.
3. Don't eat when you're upset. It disturbs digestion.
4. Eat only up to the point of comfort. You should eat up to 3/4ths your body's capacity.
5. Avoid ice-cold foods & drinks. Disturbs the Vata & Kapha doshas. Slows digestion.
6. Don't talk while chewing. Takes away from the focus on the process of eating.
7. Eat at a moderate Pace. To help regulate your speed, don't place the next bite of food on the fork until the preceding bite has been chewed or swallowed.
8. Don't eat until the preceding meal has been fully digested. If you must snack, make it light.
9. Favor meals with freshly cooked food. They are generally easier to digest.
10. Sit quietly for a few minutes after your meal. Allows digestion to begin effortlessly.
11. Devote one or two meals each week to Eating Awareness Meditation. (Pg. 62) a technique for using the power of intention to improve digestion and metabolism. It should be done when you're eating alone. The technique involves eating very slowly and deliberately, while consciously intending every movement.
Begin by looking at the food with an awareness of the intention to look at it. Become aware of the food's aroma by having the intention of being aware of it. When you taste each bite, intend to taste it. We have become used to eating quickly & automatically, as if we were dialing a telephone or paying a utility bill. Ayurveda states: "A person eating in ignorance can make poison of any food." But by taking one or two meals a week with awareness and intention, you can gradually improve your whole attitude toward nourishing your body. Eating Awareness Meditation is absolutely essential to practice and to master.
Just some tips from Perfect Weight that I'm going to try to be conscientious of!