SP Premium
MGAIL49

SparkPoints
 

"Convention"-al Wisdom

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

I have been back from the First Ever Spark People Conventi0n for two days already and I wrote a bit about it on my Intro . I have really enjoyed reconnecting with some of the people I have met, and I look forward to the post-c0nvention activities we may be involved in. I hope that everyone has an opportunity to attend the Annual Convention at some point. For people like me that are struggling to find a path different than a fad diet, the convention was really inspiring. It reinforced the importance of a balance between diet and exercise so much, that I have upped my frequency of exercise until I find that critical point where I'm seeing consistent results.

Anyway, for me, the combination of the SP Convention on Saturday with the I Can Do It seminar I attended on Friday and Sunday added a lot of power to the whole event. I attending some workshops and especially liked Dr. James Lipton's talk about our internal chemistry and how it is being discovered that it isn't "bad genes" that cause disease, but "environment". The "switching on" of genes that cause health problems have triggers that are affected by certain environments. They will learn, no doubt, that negativity, anger, poor diets, high stress, etc., have a direct cause on activating many of those life-threatening disorders. It was mentioned that only about 5% of all disorders are genetic. The other 95% are "triggered". The old "you are what you think" statement rings truer and truer. Losing weight for me is as much a mental healing as learning to eat properly.

I am still digesting all that I learned. Our panel was very inspiring at the convention, giving us so many "tips" and mind-sets that helped them lose the weight. Every one of them said it isn't the occasional backslide that is important, it's the overall consistency. They also are very involved in helping other people, which impressed me very much. These people know helping others helps themselves stay strong. What a gift to us who are still finding our way.


Again, my hope is that others will make it a priority to plan to attend next year. I came away with so much that will help me along in my journey.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • KAPERK1
    Great blog. I'll be there next year. I went to the Chinese Face Reading class, which was interesting. Kathy
    4218 days ago
  • JOHAL52
    So glad you had a great time both in terms of learning AND connecting!
    Val
    4222 days ago
  • TRPL7KAT
    Gail,

    Looking forward to finding the time to read more about your time there. Thanks for sharing this blog.

    ~*Kat*~
    4222 days ago
  • BARBSIDDIQUI
    What a great time you had, Gail. Thanks for all the inspiration you're spreading too!
    4222 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment


    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.