Try these simple baby food recipes:
- Cover and refrigerate homemade baby food for immediate use; use within 3 days of preparation.
- For longer storage, homemade baby food can be poured into a plastic ice cube tray and placed in the freezer. Once frozen, put the cubes into a clean, airtight plastic bag. When ready to use, remove frozen cubes for single-serve portions. The cubes can be heated in a saucepan or in the microwave. Stir and check for proper serving temperature and to avoid hot spots.
- Label and date the homemade baby food. Fruits and vegetables may be kept frozen for 6-8 months. Frozen meat items should be used within 2 months.
- Cooked Meats and Poultry: Place 1/2 cup cubed, cooked meat into the blender. Add about 4 tablespoons of liquid (such as meat broth, water, breast milk, or formula). Blend until smooth.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Put 3/4 cup cooked fruits or vegetables into the blender. Add 2 tablespoons of water or juice. Process until smooth.
- Creamed Fruit and Cottage Cheese: Put 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 3 tablespoons of canned or cooked fruit into a blender. Add breast milk, formula or juice to reach the desired consistency. Process until smooth.
- Meal-in-One: Place 1 cup cooked meat, 2/3 cup cooked vegetables, 1/2 cup cooked rice (or noodles, potatoes, or baby cereal), 1 cup liquid (broth, vegetable juice, breast milk, or formula) into a blender. Puree to desired consistency. Freeze in ice cube trays. Makes 3 cups, or 15 food cubes.