Saturday, December 30, 2017
It wasn't pretty. I am starting 2018 off about 10 pounds heavier than I began it. But that doesn't tell the whole story. Apparently I lost some weight early in the year, and I have gained about 12 pounds in the last six months. I am trying to analyze why (not too difficult), and here are the main reasons:
1. I gradually let sugar back into my life to the point that it overtook me.
2. I was eating too much.
3. I have an extremely hard time tracking my food. I was doing it earlier in the year (hence the weight loss), but I have not been tracking at all lately.
4. My exercise program has gone to pot. My mother had a series of falls in September which left her hospitalized and then in rehab. This really cut into my time. This is not really an issue any more (though I recently started a new job with a longer commute), but I have not been able to get back into the swing of things. My exercise now is limited almost exclusively to walking. But even at that, my average walking is down, and the number of days where I have not achieved my step goal is up significantly from 2016.
My 10 year Spark anniversary was a few weeks ago. It was bittersweet. On the one hand, I feel like Spark identifies me, and I am so happy for that. When I first started with Spark, I was at the highest weight of my life, and I am happy to say that managed to get away from that. Even with the ups and downs of the last 10 years, I have managed to stay at a level that is lower than it had been for about 15 years before that. In other words, prior to 2007 (when I had gained a lot of weight), I was bouncing around between 205 and 215. I have not seen weights at this level since early 2008 (though I am creeping back up there, but I am confident I will not get there).
However, I have recently felt lost in Spark land. I have actually given thought to leaving the community, which is something I never would have dreamed of as recently as two years ago. I know that Spark is what you make of it, so I don't need anyone to tell me what a great place it is. I know that. But it hasn't been working for me. I recently received an email about a new app for what seems to be a similar socially oriented weight loss/healthy lifestyle community. I was seriously considering giving it a shot, but it seems to be aimed at millennials. I am not a millennial by any means.
So I have decided to give this another shot and go from here.
But here is what I am trying to do.
1. After some indecision, I have signed up again for two challenges that I have been involved in for some time. I have definitely not put my best foot forward, but I am going to try to do that now. I especially want to become more involved with the people on the team.
2. I am giving the sugar free life another shot. I have come up with two reasons to avoid sugary treats. First of all, they seem to be addictive for me. A little bit seems to lead to a lot and some very bad habits. Easier to avoid than to start and try to stop. But the number two reason is that I have made a promise to myself to do this, and I don't want to break it.
3. I feel like I just eat too much, quantity wise. So I am going to have to try tracking my food again. I will start by simply noting what I have eaten, but eventually (within a month) I will be tracking calories and quantities.
4. The exercise has proven to be a real challenge, but I have started using the rowing machine at the gym, and maybe that is an answer.
5. I normally weigh myself every day. I am going to cut down to 4x per week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday). I want a beginning and end of month weight, so I will make exceptions for that and also if I skip a day. If I make an exception, I may skip a different day. I am not sure this is a real biggie, but my weight seems to be bouncing all over the place, and maybe weighing a little less often will help to smooth that out.
6. I am going to try to blog about my progress. I have been somewhat reluctant to do so in the past, but maybe it will help. I will try to do this at least once a month.
Happy New Year Everyone!!!!