SP Premium
60,000-79,999 SparkPoints 72,314

A Whirlwind last 2 weeks & Merry Christmas!

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Wow, this last 2 weeks have been the craziest ever for me, especially since it's been during the Christmas season. With our dancing programs, shopping, baking, preparations for Christmas dinner, parties, etc. I was one busy bee. Unfortunately, I had a BIG cog thrown in my wheel. While dancing at one of our performances on the 11th of Dec., on the 3rd dance, I suddenly got extremely winded, shaky, & dizzy & had to immediately stop in the middle of the dance. Normally I know which dances will be taxing & will sit out, so I don't disturb the other dancers, but this one I had to just stand there or I would have passed out. Once I got steady on my feet, I hurriedly sat down until I calmed down. I figured that the dance was just too fast & I overdid. So for the next dance, which was slower, I got back up to dance. After just 3 steps, the same thing happened & I immediately sat down. That's when I knew something was drastically wrong. Everyone kept looking at me & asking if I was ok & I could only shake my head ok. During the break between dances, I went to get some water & could hardly walk. Once I got back to the chair, I finally had to tell my teacher I was out for the rest of the program. When we were done, everyone told me I was white as a ghost & I was feeling horrible. Even when we were leaving, I had a hard time just walking to the vehicles. Even one of the residents asked me if I was ok! And I could see the concern on other faces, so I just smiled & nodded ok.

Once we got back, John picked me up & I told him what happened. When we got home, I went to get out of the car & went to walk around the car & had to stop again because the same thing happened. He said I scared him to death. He helped me inside & said, "I'm bringing you to the ER". I said, ok, but in a little bit, I had something to do first. Once I got done, I said let's go. We got to the ER & they took me back immediately. From that point on, I was wired up for everything but sound. LOL. I was then admitted for tests & observation. They found that my medicines were actually working TOO well for my PAC's (Premature atrial contractions) & SVT's (Supraventricular tacycardia). The meds were used to slow my heart rate to keep from beating too fast & to control the rhythm. Unfortunately, I had develoved Bradycardia -an extremely low heart rate, & that with the meds dropped it so low it can't sustain the body's functions. At one point, when the nurses ran into my room, my heart rate dropped to 27 beats a minute. I was actually sitting up in bed reading (it was 5:20am). Do you know how unnerving it is to find out there was actually a crash cart sitting outside your room?! Yikes. Thankfully it was never needed.

Anyway, my docs finally decided the best course of action was to be to change my meds & for me to have a pace maker implanted. At first I declined because I knew my trip to Puerto Rico was the following week & there was NO way I was going to miss it but I finally had to agree that if this happened while there, I was going to be in big trouble. I was put at ease when they told me I still would be able to go on my trip after the implant as long as I took things slow & followed some rules & didn't over extend myself. That's when I called my sister & talked with her (it was she & I that were going) because I did not want to be a burden on her or hinder her trip in any way, & she said it wasn't going to bother her. So all was a go & it was done on the 17th & we were on our way into the big blue sky on the 19th!

The first 3 days were pretty rough & I needed help getting around & had to take lots of breaks but then was able to walk around pretty well & got to see lots of things & had a great time!

Got home late on the 24th, had to wrap presents that I didn't do prior to getting sick, slept awhile, got up early Christmas morning, cooked & cleaned, opened presents, ate, enjoyed family, exhausted myself, then went to bed & passed out. LOL.

So, with that, I was unable to wish you all a very MERRY Christmas & I hope each & every one of you had a wonderful holiday! I actually had a very awesome one, hospital stay & all. I'm alive, I have awesome friends, family, & couldn't ask for a better life. I love you all.

Of course you know I HAVE to share pics. LOL.

Explanations of Pictures:
1&2. Me & Dawn poolside
3. 4' Iguana. They were all sizes ALL over the place. Looks like he's posing. LOL
4. My Pina Colada. :)
5. Pool
6. Our Resort - Grand Melia
7. Dawn on the Catamaran for our day trip
8. Snorklers during one of our stops
9. Me & one of the Crewmates. He wanted to take a pic with me since I couldn't get in the water.
10. Shoreline opposite where the snorklers were. This shoreline was where the scene of the Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed when Captain Jack Sparrow was running away from the cannibals.
11. El Yunque Rainforest waterfall
12 & 13. El Yunque Rainforest
14. Caribbean waves

Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Wow, you have had a hard row! Glad everything is getting better and that you had a great trip. It looks beautiful there.
    2349 days ago
  • MISSY455
    How very scary for you and your family. I am glad you were still able to make the trip. It looks like you had an awesome time!

    Your Pina Colada looks very tasty! I have a new recipe for Pina Colada Smoothies that I have been drinking for breakfast, and every day that I have one, I tell my hubby only thing missing is the rum!

    Hope you are feeling 100% very soon!
    2350 days ago
    I'm so sorry for your problems you had but looks like you made the best of it. Love the photos of your trip. I know that was worth it. Looks like such a good time!!!
    2350 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.