SP Premium
ANNE-ELIZ
100,000-149,999 SparkPoints 111,003
SparkPoints
 

Down and up again...

Monday, November 19, 2012

More on my assistance dog, Meka...

Yesterday I had decided that given Meka's continued inability to stand, I needed to consider euthanasia. My vet had suggested getting further diagnostic workup done at a specialty vet hospital. However, I felt that, given his condition, they might be able to offer us a clearer idea of what might be causing the problem, without being able to offer much in the way of treatment that would bring Meka back to good health.

This was an extremely painful decision making process.

I did make calls to the recommended hospital as well as another in Manhattan, for information but was unable to get through to either one.

Andrew and Becca, my son and daughter-in-law, had come over to visit and both were very upset at the prospect, as was Matt and Jessica, my other son and his partner, who were in touch by phone, as was every friend or acquaintance who asked about him and with whom I discussed the possibility.

The boy has quite an extensive fan club!

Even with all the difficulty he was having,he is quite alert, had regained his appetite and seemed in good spirits. He was also cooperating with me in his care, despite his obvious discomfort and pain. This was breaking my heart.

I decided that we had nothing to lose by increasing his prednisone a bit to see if we could get any improvement, so I did that. While Andrew was visiting and we were discussing the whole issue, Meka began to move around a bit differently than he had previously, and to whine. He then got his back legs up under himself and came to stand! He walked a few steps and then sank back down. About a half hour later he did it again and walked a little further.

This morning he got up again and was able to walk to another room and then to several rooms. He was still weak and not completely coordinated, but this was a massive improvement over the prior week.

I cancelled the euthanasia appointment to everyone's relief. I made the calls to the hospitals again and this time I got through.

I made an appointment for the consultation at the referral hospital because that now made more sense to me.

It is going to cost upwards of $1500.00, if an MRI is necessary, just for diagnosis, and then we'll still have to consider the course of treatment.

However, now I believe there is a chance that I might be able to get a happy, healthy Meka back at the end of this!

Thank you for all the support and prayer that has been extended. Please keep it coming!

This seems like at least a minor miracle.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • GRANDMABABA
    I wish you success in this challenging journey.
    2793 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment


    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.