Just Another Manic Monday
Monday, June 25, 2012
I'm exhuasted today! Good thing I already got my workout in for the day!
Today's schedule called for laps in the pool, and I got started bright and early at 6:30am. I love swimming in the morning because there's usually not anyone else there to churn the water and make it difficult for me to swim. Halfway through my laps today another girl showed up, but she was a smooth and silent swimmer, so that worked out well. It wasn't until late in the game that another guy showed up with all the same vigor I had for freestyle.
I've moved on to week 2 of the 0 to 1650 program.
For those that don't know, it's a 6-week program designed to have you swimming a mile if you swim 3 times a week. Now I usually only get in 2 swims a week (though that might be changing soon), so it's going to take me a bit longer than 6 weeks, but that's okay by me. I did start to get another one of my pounding monster headaches in the beginning, but I realized it was just lack of oxygen from the push from week 1 to week 2, so I adjusted accordingly (did a few of my laps without using my legs, which helps the body cool down as the quads aren't stealing all your oxygen for kicking).
200 yards straight
4 x 100 (=400)
2 x 60 (=120)
2 x 40 (=80)
1 x 40
3 x 20 (=60)
I have to adjust for my pool size. The plan calls for 4x50 (which = 200 yards) and 4x25 (which = 100 yards), so I have to adjust it slightly to get the right bang for my buck and still get the yardage I need for the day. Add everything up and you've got 900 yards for this AM, done in about 35 minutes. I did 2 warm up laps (40) and one cool down lap (20) and then some stretching before and after. Felt pretty good. I'm glad I was able to calm down the headache. It's the jump from 100 yards to 200 that just about kills me, but I'm hoping my body adjusts soon and it won't be a problem for long.
Also on course for today has been trying to eat more Paleo-like. I've been having stomach problems for, well, my whole life. I thought eating better (more clean and nutritious and healthy foods) would cause these problems to go away, but they haven't. Even Hubs remarks that he doesn't understand how someone so "healthy" can have so many stomach problems. The two most likely culprits are either grains or dairy. Dairy is the most likely thing I can imagine since both my mother and my son are lactose resistant. I've made no excuses for my love of cheese and other dairy products (I swear I'm like an addict!) so it's been hard to think about not eating dairy any longer, but if it helps my stomach feel better, I'm willing to give up a few things 98% of the time so I can enjoy a 98% stomach-pain-free life!
Note I didn't say 100%. Just the thought of giving dairy (and grains!) up 100% makes me want to eat every slice of bread and cheese in my house until I barf. Which only goes to show that I have a very unhealthy relationship with both. Let's just say yesterday didn't go well as I somehow adopted a "last meal" mentality and landed myself with the most awful stomach ache on record! UGH!
So this morning, I drank a few sips of coffee with soy milk before thinking, "Uhm, no..this isn't how I'm going to start this!" So I poured myself a cup of black coffee, pushed the bagels and cream cheese aside and opted for a 3-egg omelet with mushrooms, and then headed out the door. I just got back from my lunch break where I scoured the market for fresh fruits and veggies and finally located a wonderful salad w/o cheese. And then got back and realized the stuffed pepper soup I got (and adore) has rice in it. D'oh! Well, progress, not perfection, right?! Still going full-speed-ahead on the non-dairy front.
The result thus far? My stomach doesn't hurt right now. Of course, it comes and goes so we shall see, but it's a start. The downside? I basically passed out at my desk after my workout for a few minutes. I was so utterly exhausted it was impossible for me to keep my eyes open. This could mean a few things:
1) I kicked @$$ at my swim today and really worked hard.
2) I didn't properly refuel following my swim.
3) I'm in the 2-week adjustment period for this change, and it's just going to be like that for a bit.
4) I'm just friggin' TIRED because I DID stay up late last night and woke up super early this morning.
The good news is that I can adjust for all of that. Well, except for #1 because being kick@$$ in the gym isn't a bad thing...the other 3 are what need some work.
2) I need to have some form of fruit or something following my swim. I'll try to stick an apple in my gym bag for tomorrow and see if that helps.
3) In 2 weeks it will be over, I hope!
4) Get more stupid sleep! DUH!
* I didn't really miss my creamer in my coffee. Shock of shocks for me!
* I'm going ahead and eating the soup, even with the rice, but I'm putting the crackers AWAY!
* I have apples, peaches, a salad with almonds, and some sliced fruit (pineapples, apples, oranges, grapes, blackberries) in a fruit cup to get me through the day.
For dinner I know I have some grilled chicken at home. It has a tiny bit of BBQ sauce on it, but I'm just going to have to deal with that for now. Can't let it go to waste! As for veggies? I hate to say it but my fridge is bare of those. I MIGHT have some salad mix, but that's about it. I need to shop for peppers and zucchini and squash because I have got to find a way to fill out my diet if I'm not going to be eating many grains anymore (if at all). I'll likely have to stop off at the grocery store on my way home, but I'll deal with it.
I need to find:
* A LOT more ideas for veggies! I'm going to give roasted Brussells sprouts a try again. I've got the roasted asparagus (NOM!) down, and I do a mean roasted parm zucchini (will have to leave off the parm now and find some good spices to add in there). Other than that? I've been a white potato girl my whole life and it's harder than hell to accept that those things aren't good for me and need to be an exception, not a rule. This is where I have stalled in my clean eating ventures EVERY SINGLE TIME. I can only eat so much salad!
* I also need to get some more spinach and frozen fruit, as I plan on adding a smoothie into my morning routine. I got some coconut water earlier so I can sub that in for the milk I used to add to it. We'll see how that works out.
If you have ideas for me, leave 'em! Otherwise, I had best get back to work! Lots of website updating to do and some cases to work on either opening or closing! Have a good Monday!