Nutritional Information Errors Appear Widespread Here on Spark
Friday, January 06, 2012
Yesterday I blogged about happening to find a discrepancy between the nutritional information pre-entered in the Spark database, and that actually printed on product labels. Today, with some consternation, I find the errors to be considerably more widespread than I expected.
As owner of my company, I have dutifully stocked the office fridge, freezer and pantry with healthy lunch and snack options. Today I found that my lunch choice (Health Choice Chicken Noodle Soup in a microwaveable bowl) and my snack choice (a Blueberry Nutri-Grain bar) both had incorrect information in the Spark database.
I think I know why. I believe the major food manufacturers change their formulations and thus, their nutritional labeling with some measure of frequency. Probably they tinker with formulations for maximum profit; I'm not so naive to think they seek more healthfulness in their products. In any event, what happens in the Spark database is that information gets outdated.
Anyway, I'd like to think its a matter of some of the nutritional data being outdated. Sloppiness, the other explanation, goes against the otherwise wonderful experience of being here. I'm not drinking THAT (diet) kool-aid yet!
I also have found a partial work-around: scan down to the most recent entries by other Spark users - they seem to come up in chronological order. The bottom-most ones (or near the bottom) usually have my nutritional data correctly. And yes I know I can manually enter the data myself for pre-packaged food, but laziness is my middle name!