8 Weeks To Optimum Health
Monday, May 30, 2011
OK, update! Well, today I went to the pool to swim with my kids and my sister and her kids. The first thing I noticed was how big I looked today. My shorts were too short for my big pale legs, and my shirt was showing the muffin top big time. I just felt so nasty. There were two girls there with fake boobs, a nice tan, and had the tramp stamp on their backs, with bikini's on of course. That just made me feel worse. The voices in my head said "Wouldn't you like to look like that?" And actually my answer was NO! I like my body. I just don't like the fat. I KNOW I CAN look good again, but I just get mad at myself for letting myself go. Last June I weighed 225. Today I weigh 225. I weighed 222 Jan. 1st this year. So obviously I'm not doing anything to change my body. All the pics of the food I took, and the plan I blogged about last month (working with my son) each only lasted 2 days at best! I never stick to ANYTHING, and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of being mad at myself and I'm even more sick of not just DOING IT! I only swam for about 5 minutes because I felt so insecure and just mad at myself. I had to walk in front of those girls every time I went over to the pool and I felt like they were staring at me. I hated it. Because I know I can look even better than them when I get my body right. They certainly weren't perfect by any means and I wasn't mad at them, or hating on them (even though it sounds like it) I was mad at ME. Well NO MORE!
Today I start my new plan called 8 Weeks to Optimal Health. It's a book written by Andrew Weil. I love him! He is so smart. He believes in all natural and mostly follows the Mediteranian way of living. He is a firm believer in walking and meditating. I haven't really gotten into meditation, that will take some time, but I'm sure it can't hurt. Anyway I am starting TODAY. I don't even know what I have to do for the next 8 weeks but as far as week one goes, it seems very easy. He doesn't focus on telling you what you can't eat, but rather what you SHOULD be eating.
My goals aren't to get into a bikini anymore. My goal is to not be fat anymore, to feel good and proud of myself even more, be a good example to my family, and the main reason...to BE HEALTHY and live a long pain free life.
Just the other day I broke out like crazy and I can't figure out why. I had a sharp pain in my side (left) and then I stood up to walk around and I could feel my body doing weird things. I took pics so I'll post them on this blog in a little bit. Then later I broke out again but this time I didn't have splotches, I was just red all over and it felt like I had a sunburn. My skin was pulsing, and I was itching a little. It felt like little needles pricking me all over. Basically that scared me to death. Being healthy is more important than anything after that, and I'm determined to get my life back! I hope everyone out there can do the same. There is no better time than NOW!
THE PLAN: Week One
1. Start by going through your pantry and refrigerator to identifiy and discard common unhealthful foods. (I guess you do have to throw out some stuff lol). He only wants you to use olive oil. If you must, then organic canoloa oil and dark toasted sesame oil is OK. No cottonseed oil, or partially hydrogenated oils of any kind. No trans fat either. Throw out all artificial sweetners (I don't use so that's easy! lol) No artificial coloring. You do have to watch your fat intake and especially saturated fats. No more than 100 calories (about 10-12 grams) a day from saturated fat (and that's on a 2,000 calorie/per day diet). Don't buy products whose labels list more chemicals than recognizable ingredients. So basically eat as clean as you can.
2. Start eating fresh broccoli this week. Cook it how you like and eat 2x's this week. Eat salmon, sardines, or herring at least once this week. I don't like fish so he says I can eat ground flaxseeds sprinkled over my food once or twice instead.
3. Walk for 10 minutes 5x's this week.
4. Meditate 5 minutes each day
5. Start taking supplements (he has a list).
All of these are totally doable!