SP Premium



Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I trained for it once my injuries from the spring healed and it was evident that they could handle the hard work.
I trained for it because my daughter was so sick and a 10 week plan looked like it would take my mind off her illness for a few hours a week.
I trained for it by getting up at 5 am and logging many kilometers in the fall darkness.
I trained for it all alone because I don't know any other runners.
I trained without thinking about it - no special food, cross training, hydration - just running - lots of running.

When my DD went to hospital on Friday last week with Acute Disseminating Encephalomyelitis, the last thing I thought about was Sunday's marathon. Instead, I spent 24 hours a day at the hospital using my nursing knowledge to support my family, advocate for a semi-comatose kid and fend off anxiety.

I wasn't rested. I wasn't carbo loaded. I wasn't hydrated but I was registered to run. Saturday afternoon my DD told me to run - that she looked forward to hearing about it.

So, I did. I slept fitfully, forgot my headband and was late to the start line. My warm up was a 1/2 km trot to the start! The gun went off and so did I - realizing as I crossed the starting mat that my mouth was dry and I was hungry - not a good sign.

It was a pretty day and I started crying at the 3rd km. Then I got serious, found my rhythm and thought about my darling DD waiting for me at the hospital.

It was a slog - dehydration caught up to me at the 32 km mark and my legs cramped. I hobbled through the last 10 kms and crossed the finish line 4 hours and 30 mins later.

Then I went back to the hospital and showed my DD my golden medal.

Today DD came home from the hospital and I realize that I ran my first, full marathon and no one knows outside of my family.

I just wanted to tell someone.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    What an incredible daughter you have! Probably because of her wonderful mother....great attitude, both of you. May she recover completely, God bless her. emoticon
    3803 days ago
  • KELPIE57
    You are one amazing lady!

    3811 days ago
    WOW that is amazing, awesome and so inspriing. I am so thankful that you did the marathon and weren't hurt in anyway. Also good news that your dd is out of hospital I hope she recovers and it is uneventful. I also hope that your other dd is coping and things are improving down there.
    HUGS all around. YOU sure have had more than your share!
    3811 days ago
    Congratulations on your first marathon in spite of all of your obstacles. Be proud of yourself and shout it from the rooftops! I just did my first on October 31 and you "beat" me by 1:15. Be very proud indeed, I'm sure your DD is! :)
    3811 days ago
    I had tears reading this.

    Great job! Glad you could share that medal with your daughter.
    3811 days ago
    What a tremendous accomplishment! Congratulations!

    Please make sure you celebrate it and really give yourself credit for doing it. I know you're hyperfocused on your family members who are experiencing difficult times, but don't short shrift yourself and your fantastic success!
    3811 days ago
    This is totally thrilling. What an accomplishment. What a role model for your daughter -- and wishing her all best for a full recovery.
    3811 days ago
  • ANNE7X7
    Oh my. You are such a strong woman!! Congratulations of being a marathoner! It's an amazing accomplishment, and you did it even despite what life threw at you! emoticon
    3811 days ago
    You are one AMAZING WOMAN and ATHLETE!
    Im glad to hear your DD is home from the hospital and I'll be keeping her in my thoughts that she continues to get well.
    Im so proud of you for pushing yourself to keep going!
    YOU DID IT and you should be so proud!!
    emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
    3811 days ago
    OK, one emoticon For you, It sounds like running was the right things to do. You survived it and will be better prepared next time. Not just survived but finished! Silly girl not eating or drinking. I am rolling my eyes.

    Two. How can so much be happening to one child? This is such a rare occurrence. You must be beyond understanding. I am so sorry. I googled it and it sounds like there may be some time before you know the outcome. Fingers crossed this is the end of it. I am taking my DD to the chiropractor now. We just started today. I feel like we are on a recovery journey and I have had quite enough new symptoms.

    I can't help thinking how this whole year is like running a marthon for you. You are going to get through it. And when you do, I know this nice B&B that is a good place to get away and unwind, lol. I will be in Toronto after Christmas on a regular basis as my youngest DD has gotten her co-op job there (Eglington and Yonge area). Mixed feelings about it. We have to find her a room to rent and then she is worried she will have no social life for 4 months. Then back to school Waterloo in May. I am procrastinating writing so I must get back to it. I hit my 20,000 word count today and just suddenly petered out. emoticon . Let me know what you need after Christmas. Maybe I can help.
    3811 days ago

    Comment edited on: 11/10/2010 4:11:40 PM
    3811 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.