SP Premium
100,000-149,999 SparkPoints 128,050

A new challenge and a lesson learned!

Monday, April 27, 2009

This past Saturday I took part in a 5k held locally every year. I've done 5k's before but this time I decided to challenge myself and enter in the 5k Judged Racewalk. I took a class this past winter where I learned the technique and figured what the heck. I knew I could easily walk 3.1 miles but racewalk, well, why not give it a go. My personal goal - not to be disqualified. And if I did, so be it I'd walk anyway. I wasn't worried so much about my time as I knew I'd be up against some real experienced racers. So I trained and I prepared with food and liquids and felt like I was ready to go.

The morning was nice temperature wise - about 60 degrees with clouds so the sun wasn't beating down and very windy. 8:40 was start time so I found a lady I trained with during the winter (79 years old and experienced racer) and warmed up with her and she showed me the ropes so to speak. So off we went and the wind is blowing me away and I'm working on getting my groove that first mile along with my breathing. I had to focus on 'me' as the experienced folks were gone in a flash. The course went up and down hills (I'd not really prepared for) and then the sun came out from behind the clouds. I thought I was a goner. I didn't carry water - didn't think I'd need to but they did have a station along the way and I got a small glass and drank it down. I kept chugging along and ended up finishing with a time of 40:35 (13 minute miles) Okay for my first attempt and I didn't get disqualified - BONUS! After the race we hung around, I ate a banana and drank a bottle of water. We went home, I showered, had a bite of lunch and more water. Then about 2 hours later, it hit. Yep, I was sick. Headache (likely more like a migraine) and I started vomiting. Couldn't keep a thing down. Not even ice chips. Dry heaving and I thought I'd be heading to the hospital by ambulance as I didn't think I could make it by vehicle. Then I stopped and thought about it - I'd been here before, with one of my sons many years ago when he played soccer. So I asked the DH to do some research and I had the symptoms of dehydration.

How could this be? I prepared, I did my homework, I thought I did everything right and felt good until after the fact. What went wrong? So the DH comes bearing electrolyte replenishing drinks and water and the process began. The first was a bit scary, I was in agony from the vomiting but I sipped, baby sips and managed to hold it down long enough to belch. It stayed down. So for the next 3.5 hours, every 10-15 minutes he was at my side making me sip and I did so until I felt human again. I recovered but learned a lesson. I didn't do enough to prepare for pushing myself so hard. 40 degrees would of been better for us all. Even the experienced racers had a hard time with the temps.

So next time, I will focus more on what will work for me. I will carry supplements along the way and use them and then I will get out of the sun altogether. I will not do this when it is too warm for my body to deal with. I am fair and do not like heat so a lesson learned.

The next day I felt fine and went for a casual walk with friends. Did nearly 5 miles. How strange indeed but I guess I needed to learn the hard way.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • no profile photo CD3647960
    DORENE emoticon emoticon
    4284 days ago
    That's too bad glad you're through it though and feeling better.
    4284 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.