It hit the airwaves in December 1975 and became the number 1 song by February 1976. I was a freshman in high school, and although I didn’t have any experience in the "leaving a lover" department, the catchy lyrics of the Paul Simon hit “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover,” sure stuck in my head. No disrespect to Mr. Simon, but with the new year quickly approaching, I tweaked a few lines of his hit song to inspire you in coming up with your own “50 Ways to Lose Your Blubber.” Heck, I’ll even help you get started by sharing the first 15.
You make a new plan, Stan
Count calories too, Sue
Cut the sugar and fat, Pat
Weighing portions is key.
Use a smaller plate, Kate
Just mindfully crunch and munch
Watch less T.V., Lee
And set your fat free!
In 2013, I resolve to…
- Swap my lunchtime soda for a glass of water. Calories saved for the day: 150. Pounds lost for the year: 15
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep nightly.
- Use an English muffin for my morning breakfast sandwich instead of a large biscuit. Calories saved: 80.
- Get at least 5 servings of fruits and/or veggies each day.
- Pull the breading and skin off my fried chicken breast. Calories saved: 140.
- Not waste any money on diet pills.
- Build my sandwich with deli turkey instead of salami. Calories saved: 150.
- Purchase a food scale and weigh my foods.
- Select thin-crust pizza instead of deep-dish style. Calories saved: 70 per slice
- Chew gum during meal preparation to avoid nibbling while cooking. Calories saved: 100 or more
- Top my pasta with a marinara sauce instead of an Alfredo sauce. Calories saved: 60 per 1/2 cup.
- Take my body measurements every two months.
- Enjoy 15 whole grapes instead of 8 ounces of grape juice. Calories saved: 95.
- Establish a reward system for every 5 pounds I lose. The reward will not be food related.
- Log on to SparkPeople daily and offer my support and encouragement to other team members.
What are your easy New Year’s resolutions to “set your fat free” in 2013? Are there any other Paul Simon fans out there? Share your "lose your blubber" or "lose your lover" stories! Did you "get" my headline pun, or was that before/after your "time"?
You will earn 5 SparkPoints